View Single Post
      01-03-2018, 06:10 PM   #1
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

Maximum miles in a day

I saw both my kids between Christmas and the following Friday. I live in Lexington SC, one is in Parkvale Missouri and the other is in Rock Hill SC. I drove to Missouri on Christmas and it was a little over 1,000 miles and about 14.5 hours. Coming back I stopped at Rock Hill and it was just under 1,000 miles and about the same amount of time. Traffic was MUCH worse.

I think the first leg is my personal record for most miles in a day. I find my e88 (n52) to be a very comfortable cruiser. Roads were good and no wrecks (or tickets). If I had any trouble I would have stayed overnight and finished the next day but it went well so I did not.

I compared routes on my Garmin and my iPhone running Google maps. They gave the same route and were not as different as I remember. Characters were much bigger than I remembered on the phone making it much more useful for this. I still like using the Garmin to safe phone charges. But for a second opinion the phone is a good option. Both navigation units also were good to give gas options along the route. They also will give hotels and food options. Entertainment was the radio or a MP3 player (I realize streaming would be a more up-to-date option but I only do that over wifi just due to phone data charges).

Anybody else travel 1,000 miles in a day? Anyone go further? Any good thoughts on navigation, entertainment or other?