View Single Post
      04-21-2011, 07:44 PM   #31
skyphab
First Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: MK5 GTI --> Cayman R (skip 1M)

Regarding speed and driving fun for money you won't get anything better than the 1M. In fact, you won't get near to the 1M with any other practical 4 seater. The RS3 is the only car that could be considered as a real alternative but then again its not, if you're speaking of things like rear wheel drive sensation and stuff like LSD. And its more expensive, too.

But a Porsche and in this case a Cayman R is a different story. After my 1M contract blew and I drove my first Cayman S I have to say that there are things you can't compare side by side in a 0-60 mph table.

Where I was hunting after 0-100 kmh and 0-200 kmh times while waiting for the 1M, I don't care anymore with my Cayman R ordered. Its the sound and the sensation such a car creates and if I am slower 0-200 kmh with my R I couldn't care less.

Its a different level. If you talk to people about your car its interesting, that they don't ask about much details if you say you ordered a Porsche. Its more like "wow, Porsche" than "how fast is it from 0-200 kmh?". Its really interesting and I don't know why, but suddenly female friends of mine are looking forward to my Porsche.

What I'm trying to say: The 1M is comparable data wise and it's a wonderful car. But take the data sheets away, get into a Cayman R and start the engine. Experience that sound and that smell when you spur that engine, and you won't be interested in that data sheets for a long time.

But since Porsche knows that, you'll have to pay. My R is nearly twice the price from my formerly ordered 1M but you can't compare the interior, you can't compare the seats, you can't compare the short shifter, you can't compare the sound and you can't compare the feeling of max bhp from 6'500 to 7'400 rpm.

In the end, the cars are only comparable on the data sheet and its okay, because the 1M is a fantastic car for that money. But no one will ever tell me, that a 1M does feel better over a Cayman R on a fast driven, winding road.

Last edited by skyphab; 04-21-2011 at 07:52 PM..
Appreciate 0