Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger_Extract View Post
A high offset 9.5" rear wheel, but seeing as you have a 128i, I would not recommend it. Too much rear wheel grip will just induce additional understeer. To be honest, with my much heavier, and much more powerful 135i, I don't feel the need for more than a 9" rear wheel in terms of lateral grip.
Yea, my thoughts exactly, I think 9" is what we need

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowside67 View Post
Not sure if you mean by no modification no widebodies, etc or truly not even a fender roll. The answer to your question HIGHLY depends on your other suspension, for example camber, and whether you have the M lower control arms.

Assuming you have coilover suspension with the perch above the tire, an aggressive track-oriented alignment (over 3 degrees camber), and rolled fenders, you can fit a 17x9 with an effective offset of 30-33mm with a race-oriented 255-40-17 street tire such as the Bridgestone RE71R. This is the most that is really possible while maintaining full range of motion.

As you start subtracting from that list of preparation, what you can accomplish will go down. While I have not personally tried it, a normal 235-40-17 street tire on a 17x8.5 should be doable with a more moderate amount of camber (2+ degrees) and unrolled fenders as long as the offset is just right (ie as close as possible to the strut).

Mark
Yea I was talking with no body modifications. thanks for the input
Appreciate 0