View Single Post
      10-02-2016, 07:19 AM   #81
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

OK, moving up from the FMIC, the stock charge pipe was replaced with a gorgeous ER long type unit. The silicone coupler and throttle body mount fit perfectly. Note, I reused my stock C-clip and throttle body o-ring.

The BOV is a TiAL Q 50mm unit. The vacuum hose is a perfect fit replacement for the manifold nipple. That thing is super fragile, but a little gentle maneuvering and the old line slid right off. The Tial BOV fits right into the place where the cabin resonator on the old pipe used to be.

Tools: T30 torx socket, T15 torx socket, T20 torx key, 8mm socket, 6mm socket, 1/4" and 3/8" drive ratchets, flat screwdriver (for the C-clip)

Pictures of the new charge pipe and BOV

Removed the microfilter, cowl, and DCI, stuffed shop rags in the inlet piping.
Took out the stock unit, which was surprisingly heavy! Note: the MAP sensor is very hard to get out on the stock pipe as the cabin resonator is in the way of one of the mount screws. I had to use a small torx key to get the two screws out. Remember to remove the charge pipe mounting bolt and bushing from the old unit as well.

Capped off the recirculation ports with supplied silicone caps and worm clamps. Installed the coupler with a supplied T-bolt clamp

Swapped the o-ring and C-clip over to the ER pipe, installed the MAP sensor with supplied torx screws, and done! The T-bolt clamps on the coupler will hold well, I have no fears of leaks.

Post install impressions:
No gain in power, as expected. However, the new pipe is larger and you can tell the turbos are spooling much faster due to the reduced restriction and zero flex in the 90 degree bend right before the TBI. Pressure is released MUCH faster due to the BOV, and it is just loud enough to hear, but far from obnoxious. And, it looks great!

Any questions, feel free to post them up or shoot me a PM!

Last edited by ShocknAwe; 08-03-2017 at 09:47 AM..
Appreciate 0