View Single Post
      02-04-2020, 09:41 AM   #5
olds350
Needs a long road trip...
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 e91, '13 e88, '19 golf R

Gave the car a quick once over last night by putting it on some jack stands, killing traction control and putting it in drive for a slow roll. Got under the car and put my mechanics stethoscope on the outside wheel bearing hub and on the diff. The wheel bearings sound great, no noise. The diff is making some noise, but that may just be the nature of the beast.

I put the scope on the outside of the diff by the output shaft and both sides sounded the same. Also scoped the input by the driveshaft, but to my untrained ear, I didn't hear any grinding.

I have some left over 75x90 redline gear oil and I'm going to change out the fluid tomorrow. Taking the day off since it's supposed to be warm here in NC. We'll see what happens from there.

As for the noise, I grabbed everything I could while under the car with the engine off and didn't come across anything loose. Took the car for a quick spin around the block and couldn't reproduce the noise, so not sure what was going on. The hum and slight vibration are still there. While I'm changing out the gear oil, I'll swap the rear tires side to side and see if that changes anything.

Stay tuned, more to come...
Appreciate 0