Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i E88

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer bullet View Post
Ugh, sorry to hear it. Still appreciate the progress updates. Even if it feels like a lack of progress on your side.

Still going. This car hasn't broke me yet. Just my wallet lol.
So engine is rolling along the block looks great. The crank is beautiful. The cylinder head was only jet washed at the machine shop and looks awesome for just $20. Just not ready to drop $4k on a ported head with new valves. By the looks of this head I won't have to.
*Put pistons on rods. No easy task getting those damn clips in the wrist pins. Nearly broke my thumbs.
*Next I sized all the rings. Each one I cut down to .020 for top ring and .024 for 2nd ring. The oil rings all were a perfect .019. went with 120* between oil ring openings and 180* on top rings
*Main bearings I plastigauged and we're perfect out of the box. Dropped them in added an anaerobic high temp flange sealer for the bedplate. Not oem bmw but after a tone of research on this it should be fine. My bedplate bolts are back ordered so I bolted down and torqued the mains and added a few bolts to each side to press the bedplate down until the sealant dries. Once I get the right bolts I'll back those out and put the correct bolts in.
* Cleaned my crank rod journal really well and put the rods on the crank. First dry fit to check clearances. All are a perfect .002. so then I removed and added assembly lube and torqued all in place.
* The misfire race pinned crank hub gave me a little trouble. The drill bit pushed out on the inside part of the crank a little so it wouldn't sit right. I dremeled off the bulges and sanded off a little of the coating on it. And used the bolt to torque it in to place.
That's where I'm at today.
In the last pic when I took motor apart I found the timing chain bolt access cover totally rounded . I had to drill it and hit the threads on the sides. My machine shop drilled it out and welded in a new cap for me. Luckily, I thought I screwed up my block
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
houtan707.00
Afam28298.00