MMM111
Australia
Rep
Drives: 06 118i MSport & E90 330i

Aussie's to get the 135i only....

135i Coupe heralds BMW's hottest One

Jez Spinks, drive.com.au, 02/07/07

• <LI class=print title="Print this Article" style="DISPLAY: inline">

BMW's new 1 Series Coupe will come to Australia next year with the company's award-winning twin-turbocharged six-cylinder. But has an M1 been ruled out? By JEZ SPINKS.

BMW 1 Series

Related Photo Galleries and Videos:

icon
BMW 1 Series Coupe

icon
Video Gallery

BMW has unveiled its hottest 1 Series model yet, but the German car maker says no decision has been made to build an M-version even quicker than its 135i Coupe.
Pictures and details of the new 1 Series Coupe have been released ahead of the car's public debut scheduled for September's Frankfurt motor show. The range includes the twin-turbocharged, 3.0-litre six-cylinder petrol engine from the 3 Series, which was recently voted International Engine of the Year.
The two-plus-two-seater 1 Series is a natural rival for the Audi TT (V6) and Nissan 350Z, although its styling is more two-door sedan than tailor-made coupe. It will launch in Europe with a range of engines, but BMW Australia is ignoring a 120d and new twin-turbocharged 123d diesels and importing only the range-topping 135i for about March 2008.
The 135i delivers exactly the same outputs as the 335i range, with 225kW of power and 400Nm of torque. According to BMW's performance claims, the 135i will accelerate from standstill to 100km/h in 5.3 seconds.
That's not only 0.8sec faster than the current flagship 1 Series, the $63,200,195kW 130i Sport five-door hatch, but also a tenth faster than a Porsche Cayman S.
In-gear performance is also superior. The 135i accelerates in fifth gear from 80-120km/h in six seconds, compared with 5.8sec for the 130i and 6.6sec for the Cayman S. Top speed is 250km/h, and fuel consumption based on the EU standard is 9.2 litres per 100km.
As expected, the Coupe is based on the rear-drive 1 Series hatch but increases in length by 121mm (to 4360mm) in the transition to a two-door with a proper boot. The Coupe sits 13mm lower, and is the same width, as the five-door.
The 1560kg Coupe rides on the same front double-pivot tiebar strut and rear multilink suspension, although the 135i also features electronic management designed to mimic a limited-slip diff for optimising rear traction.
The flagship 1 Series model, expected to cost between $75,000 and $85,000 in Australia, sits on 18-inch alloy wheels and BMW's M Sports suspension. The braking system comprises six-piston calipers at the front, and two-piston calipers at the rear.

The 135i is the only 1 Series Coupe to be equipped with an M Aerodynamics Package. This includes enlarged central front air dam, flanked by air intakes either side. The rear bumper also incorporates an air dam, which in dark grey contrasts with the main body colour chosen.
Twin tailpipes and a spoiler incorporated into the heavily styled bootlid complete the sporty-looking rear end.
The LED tail-lights include brake lights that operate in two stages of brightness depending on braking force.
Inside, the cabin is near-identical to the One hatch. The Coupe includes the latest version of iDrive, with programmable 'favourite' buttons.
Australian 135is will include stability control and traction control, and Active Steering will be optional. Other options include bi-xenon headlights and adaptive headlights that peer around corners in the dark.
BMW says there are no guarantees that driving enthusiasts will see an M1 badge on the rear of a 1 Series.
"We have always said that an M-car has to stick to the M philosophy," says BMW Australia spokesperson Toni Andreevski. "An M badge isn't just an extension of the range. Cars are designed specifically to be M-cars. Engineers will always look at possibilities, though at this stage there is no decision for M1"
Andreevski says the 135i will allow younger customers a feel and taste of the kind of compact coupes BMW was building in the '60s and '80s, such as the 2002 (a precursor to the 3 Series) and first-generation (E30) M3.
BMW Australia may have ruled out the cheaper diesel-engined 1 Series Coupes, but it would be strange if Munich didn't introduce further, cheaper petrol options from either the 1 Series hatch or 3 Series range.
A 1 Series Convertible will expand the baby BMW range further when it is launched later in 2008. Unlike the 3 Series Convertible that has a folding metal roof, the alfresco 1 Series will have an electrically operated folding soft-fabric roof.
BMW Australia says the 1 Series Convertible is on its wish-list. A 135i version is a virtual certainty, as are other
Sedan and Touring (wagon) versions of the 1 Series are also expected to follow, as reported by Drive.com.au last December when we revealed BMW's plans for an expanded 1 Series family.
Appreciate 0