View Single Post
      02-25-2021, 10:32 AM   #61
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyjack View Post
my wife and i had a great vacation in the UK and put nearly 1500 km on an audi A5 sportback. driving in/around london was definitely a challenge but once i got the hang of the roundabouts i felt pretty confident. but once we got out into the country there was a whole nother set of challenges that i hadnt expected...especially when we got into some remote parts of wales to do some castle hunting. very narrow two-way roads -- that were barely 1.5 car widths -- lined with hedgerows nearly 20 feet high created the most stressful driving ive ever done. the drivers out there have grown up on those roads, know them like the backs of their hands, and run them like rallycross! i'd conservatively estimate 5 near-head-on collisions on a daily basis!
It's not so much knowing the roads - you never know what's coming towards you around a blind corner - it's just that you expect to have to do a near-emergency stop when something is there. It's fine, because you're ready for it....except from the times that it's not.
Appreciate 1
happyjack1657.00