View Single Post
      10-14-2020, 10:49 AM   #9
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

I did today what I should have done before putting in a washer. I looked at the reluctor. I viewed several youtubes where people had nasty rusted up reluctors and assumed that was my issue due to a little debris on my sensor. Today I looked, the reluctor is nice and shiny. The sensor does not move when I rotate the brake rotor (and thus axle). So I pulled the washers and ordered the more expensive scanner I mentioned earlier. There was a coupon which dropped the price to about $100. It is supposed to arrive Saturday.

For anybody new to working on a 1 series I will add a couple comments about jacking the car up for access. It is best to have a low profile jack, one that will go down to no more than 3.5 inches. I used to use one that would not and rolled the car up on 1.5 inch thick wooden blocks to get my jack under the car. But that was a hassle and the jack got to where you could not lower the car gradually and so I bought a new low profile jack (black line by arcan). Much nicer jack than my old harbor freight. I also use aluminum plates that fit into the jacking points. I used to use wooden blocks which work but the aluminum pieces are much nicer. Since you need to use your jack or a stand at these specific points, the way I raise the car is to jack on the other end of the car from where I want to work and put a stand under the end I want to work on. So for this I jack the front and put a stand under the rear before I pull the wheel. The weight distrbution is close enough that both wheels come up when jacking the other end. I do not get under the car with only a jack under it, even a nice jack. I also don't let the jack all the way down after placing the stand. I lower it just enough to get some weight on the stand. I want both helping to support the car if I am going under it. I also use the center jacking points sometimes, mostly the front one, especially if I want both front wheels off the ground. You need a low jack to get to that too.