France
Rep
Drives: BMW 120d e82 M Sportpaket

Garage List
2010 120d E82  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgolf31 View Post
Ok, deal with me on this.

Stepping from PSS to R-Comps is not a good idea. For numerous reasons, but the main one is that the grip level and how the tire communicates at is not even comparable to the PSS.

PSS Tires will become noisy as you reach the limit of grip, then as you exceed it you'll slowly lose performance and you'll feel it. If you feel this you can back off the tire and it'll recover.

R-Comps, they do not communicate this noise and when they lose grip, they SNAP and lose all ability to grip. Once you exceed this there is no returning.

A heat cycled tire will become harder and harder. For example the RS3v2s are good for about 150 runs on an autox course. After that they do not maintain heat well and decrease performance.

I think marking is playing a gimick on your head. I'd almost put money on the RE-71Rs performing past PS2s or similar.
I agree with you, the street tires will become noisier and noisier till their limit and you will feal it on the track. I've never driven with the Rcomp tires so I cannot answer on this point.

I know for example that the PS Cup will be very grippy and when they will arrive at their limit, they won't be progressive at all. I read a test last week with R888, A048, AD08R. The two Yokohama seemed to be progressive. So I think it really depends on the tire you're running.

Don't forget you are doing AutoX and I'm tracking: you will stop after one lap, I will typically do several laps (during at least 15 minutes) before stopping. The tires I will be using will handle more efforts and will heat much more. That's why I need (I think) Rcomp tires.

Edit : any review of the Bridgestone compared to the RS3?

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_01 View Post
I think you will be much better off with a R-Comp for track use. Extreme street tires are likely to wear too fast when they are overheated. When the tire is overheated the car will slide more and you increase the heat and wear rate even further.

However not all R-comps are created equal. Some aimed at racing events are intended to provide maximum performance over a limited number of heat cycles. So far I only used R888 R-comps. In cold conditions, I estimate the grip is already better than the Michelin PSS. The R888 aren't difficult to heat up. If your car weighed less than 1000kg, maybe you would think about warming up a bit longer. With R888 on the 135i it happens pretty quickly, just be aware if you warmed up both front and rear tires. When they are new, the deep tread makes them heat up easily within a single lap. I even used them in a mixed dry/damp conditions and the performance was very good without any trouble keeping them up to temperature. Now after 7 track days, the tread wears down to just past half way, the tire feels more direct, less squirmy and it can stand longer periods of track driving without overheating.
Thanks for your review on the R888. Have you an idea of the number of kilometers you did with them? And an idea about the amount of kilometers you can do?

I'm interesting in these tires because of their price is quite cheap. But the Michelin are still in the fight because of the 60€ reduction I can get.

M Sport package, Stage 1, CDV, BMC airfilter, VMR vb3, ST XTA, BMW Performance stuff, M3 arms, E93 M3 anti-roll bars F and R, ...

French community of 1 and 2 Series: One-Two-Bimmers
Appreciate 0