View Single Post
      06-07-2018, 05:04 PM   #10
Noc32
Rep
Drives: BMW 118

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzvero View Post
At the dealer they should tested it and not sure the 2006 model if they can pull info from the car about battery problems. low voltage etc. In the newest cars it will be recorded . Maybe someone else can clarify this.
Not sure why they didn't test the battery. I should have insisted on that.
I thought something on the dashboard would light up, perhaps a battery icon or something, if it was the battery...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoRomeo View Post
Just check your existing battery and go from there. Mine was replaced back in 2013. But mine is made by Exide. Its not AGM. I posted this info back in 2013 when I purchased mine. You do the search...
Quote:
Originally Posted by dzvero View Post
You can check labels, stickers stamps on the battery for manufacturing date
Not sure about the current battery brand. I don't think it's the original one.
To be honest this is my second car and the previous (Citroen C3 2005) didn't have all these additional electronics and boards over the battery, I did some googling and I'll take it out tomorrow and check the date, brand etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
Original poster is saying BMW tested battery and it’s not low or damaged (?)
If you turn off all the accessories and just turn on the headlights when u start the car and the headlights really dim out then that is a clue the battery may be low.

If the battery connection are good and not intermittent - then, you can bypass cars battery to the starter and check that components state. On a modern BMW I’m not really sure the instructions for doing this.

If battery and starter check fine and the main ground wire isn’t corroded or lose - then the starter / ignition switch gets checked for current.

If u want to get away from just replacing parts to find the fix then you need someone either on the forum or at a shop that knows the procedures.
No, they didn't check it. They simply tested plugged the tester in and did a check for errors. Thanks for your input, it's really helpful to know these things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by david in germany View Post
Sounds like the battery. I am not sure if the car needs to be coded for the new battery like the newer models do. The oem producer for our European e87 batteries was Varta and most likely you stall have the original battery in it. I just replaced the battery in my 2009 e87 this year.
I am hoping it's the battery
That's another thing I wanted to ask. If anyone knows a new battery needs to be coded for my car, it'd be great. I was planning on getting Exide, in case it's the battery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 420Coupe View Post
definitely sounds like a battery issue.
Fingers crossed that's the problem
Appreciate 0