03-29-2017, 05:36 PM   #81
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by fe1rx View Post
Interesting approach. Getting the press fit right is definitely desirable, and installing with a Loctite bearing retaining compound is probably a good idea too. Tack welding risks cooking the dust boot or the internal bearing. The tack will likely crack if there is any movement in the fit anyway, whereas Loctite will fill any gaps. A proper interference fit is obviously best though. Luckily the way the parts install prevents the joint from coming fully apart in service, but I would suggest chalking any arm without a proper interference fit to experience and tossing it. Prototypes and test articles are part of the process and the cost of developing parts.

Here is an equivalent Lemforder part, with the pertinent dimensions noted:

Attachment 1597281

Incidentally, when you press a ball joint (or any bearing) in, you should press on the outer race, not the inner, to prevent overloading and damaging the bearing. Bearings are generally not designed to take high loads in the axial (push-in) direction.
Yep definitely wont be using these arms for long, the tack welding is definitely not ideal. I pressed from the outer race and used a 36mm socket which fit and worked very well in pressing them in.

The bushings only cost $20 each so wasn't a big investment in R&D, ill need to get around to fitting them and testing them out