04-30-2018, 07:43 AM   #21
JimVonBaden
BMW Cool Aide!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP-1M View Post
I've been thinking about sharing a slightly different perspective for a while now. I hope everyone can see this for what it is. Just a different perspective.

First let's all agree to set aside for a moment how many miles/kilometers or years one can take into account for swapping parts that (in theory) wear out. I'm not in any way implying a metal and ceramic component degrades. We're not talking about that.

While I believe the majority of active posters here buy their cars to enjoy them, at the end of the day I'm sure we all hope to get maximum value out of the eventual sale of our vehicles. As a buyer I'm very concerned with service records. If I'm looking at a car and deduce the owner didn't change all parts on a fairly conservative cycle I'm going to lowball the offer and if not taken walk away.

I personally changed all of the following items shortly after buying my 33km 1M: tires, engine oil, brake fluid, transmission oil, diff oil, spark plugs, filters. Tires had some tread left on them, but I had no service records to indicate age. I did brake rotors and pads a couple thousand km after but that was due to clear need.

With my 1M I'm not interested in winning an award for keeping it running while spending as little money as possible. I would have bought a cheap Sylvia and spent my days shredding cheap tires if that was the case.
There is a big difference between changing based on a lack of service records, and changing just because. It has nothing to do with being cheap, and everything to do with tossing money in the trash for no reason!