View Single Post
      01-02-2011, 12:44 PM   #1
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4 M40i, 2008 135i

New paint, winter protection?

My front bumper is freshly painted as of 2 weeks ago. I've brought the car out once since then on a clear day, but pretty soon I'm gonna need to take the car out on a regular basis, into the salt and snow.

I know you're not supposed to wax a freshly painted surface for a few weeks to a few months depending on who you ask (my bodyshop said a couple weeks but I'm playing it safe) and I know everyone has their own opinion, but what are some of your guys thoughts?

Also, I'm a pretty big fan of quick detailer. I'm anal about my car but don't always have time for a complete wash. I've primarily used it to get bugs off my car in the summer and it works great, but is a quick detailer a good way to wipe off the salt and gunk in the winter?

Is quick detailer like meguiars "new paint safe"? I've heard yes but then I've also heard that it isn't "body shop safe" and only M34 Final Inspection is "body shop safe".. What's the difference??

Finally, to retain the shine of the paint I think the general concensus is that a glaze is safe for new paint, like meguiars #7 or 3M glaze. Just correct me if that's wrong

Sorry for the barrage of questions but it's pretty hard finding info on some of this stuff that isn't just some guy's opinion on a different forum. I figure if I'll go by someone's advice online I might as well ask on here since nobody loves their cars more than we do

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived... Mmhm.

Appreciate 0