Rep
Drives: 2024 Golf R / 2022 718 Spyder

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
Than what?

The only "focused" M3 ever was the E30 variety, which was purposely built for homologation. All the rest have represented more like pinnacles of the 3 series generations - all heavier than the regular 3 series and with lots more standard equipment - Grand Tourers with sportier demeanor if you want.

Come each generation, countless of enthusiasts have bemoaned the size increase, weight increase, cost increase - and oh yeah, the lack of focus. (Of course, only to madly fall in love with those models later on).

So BMW taking note of all the moaning perhaps, for the E36/E46/E92 generations have built limited series of very focused devices (LTW, CSL, GTS) and have met with questionable commercial success each time. The LTW's lingered in the dealers' courts for more than a year after end of production, the CSL was widely criticized for having focused tires (!!! go figure) and again didn't fly off the dealers' showrooms, and the GTS is widely bashed for being so expensive.

So no, I don't think the E9x M3 is less focused than the ones before it, except the E30. I think you are confusing this with all around excellence.

Your crystal ball is way better than mine.

(And it might not have the troublesome current version of the HPFP).
I think we aren't on the same page here--I am not denying the merits of the E9X M3. It is obviously an engineering feat--to achieve what it does despite the added size and weight over the E46 M3 is pretty remarkable.

My opinion is that the 1M represents an effort by BMW to get back to that same relative size and spirit--of the previous generation M3s, but with the added bonus of better engineering and technology. We know that the 1M is nearly identical to the E46 M3 in size/dimensions/power...yet it is faster by 12 seconds on the Ring...and also more fuel efficient...and has less emissions....and is safer...see what I am getting at?

That shows, to me at least, that you can stick with the same overall size and spirit of earlier (and yes, in my opinion, more focused) generations of BMW's most iconic line of cars, the M3. You have to admit that the limited options on the 1M, while providing manufacturing benefits to BMW, also prevents the car from losing a certain level of focus, no? A fully spruced out 1M will be very different than a fully spruced out M3...

I think you will see the same kind of effort in the next generation M3, where less = better. Lighter, more efficient, and yes, in this brave new world, the sharing of engine technology between the ///M cars...the 1M, X5M, and X6M are all proof of that....

It isn't so much that I have a crystal ball--just extrapolating the current trends...and listening to SCOTT, who has proven to be pretty close on things like this.

Good discussion regardless.