05-05-2020, 08:54 PM   #15
Tornado1M
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2cs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slats View Post
I took my 1M to Baron BMW to see if they could fix it. They assured me their computer guy was a wizard who could find and fix the problem. When I picked it up the wizard said, on the repair order, "There is a software error in the FRM. I updated the complete vehicle software and reinitialized the window motors." It was after hours when I picked the car up. The very first time I lowered the window it would not go back up with a blip of the switch, but on the way home it went up and down just fine. The nextday, when I parked it and walked away, I turned around and noticed the window going down, uninvited. Later in the day, upon stopping and opening the door to get out, the window dropped an inch, went down all the way when I shut the door and then would only go up if I held the switch in the up position. The next day saw two more similar failures. So I took it back to the dealer. The service adviser said it the FRM was the problem, but BMW, despite the warranty extension on the FRM, would not replace it for free unless it failed totally. The dealer wanted $900+ to replace it. When I balked, the dealer said it would try to get BMW to approve a "goodwill repair" and, if unsuccessful, would refund the $364 it charged me for its repair attempt. BMW blew me off, so the dealer called today to say the money would be refunded. Although I sued countless car dealers and manufacturers over my 45 year career as a consumer protection attorney, including several class actions, I'm not particularly interested litigation as a retirement hobby. But, frustration has its limits. With electronic filing it would be a simple matter to file a lawsuit against BMW over this. I have bought my last BMW. P.S. The 5 Series loaner they gave me to drive was nothing more than a Teutonic Crown Vic. I have driven few cars as boring.
So, your getting your money back. However, what do you do now to repair the window?
Appreciate 0