View Single Post
      10-25-2006, 04:07 PM   #5
LonghornTX
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookside
Hi Longhorn, yeah, I think it's from the November issue but I'm not sure...
I got it digitally as a recent story...filed yesterday. I wondered about the timing of the story...why publish it when there's nothing to report since the 4-door hatch isn't (apparently) coming to the US?
The only thing I can think of is it keeps the 1-2-er in the news.
IMO, it is because of the latter. BMW is smart about marketing and advertising and with the coupe's supposed launch in ~12-15 months, they may be simply trying to build enthusiasm. IIRC, they also tested a 120d (or 120i) a couple months ago as well.

And I don't understand the complexities of the dollar's value compared to euro's...but it does seem that we in the US get BMW's priced comparatively much lower than the rest of the world.
Add the relatively low cost of gasoline and you've got a pretty good deal for American consumers.
The "2" coupe I expect to see come in around a couple grand under the base "3". Start adding some options and pretty soon you'll be in "3" territory.

I noticed the writer, Gillies, takes 2 swipes at the 1-ers design.
I'm surprised because the car seems to be boiled down to the essence of BMW mainstream design rather than some sort of wild extension.
I'd love to see a 1-er on our shores as a hatch....the sooner the better
asdf
Appreciate 0