11-27-2018, 12:14 AM   #63
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayers1997 View Post
almost bought one based on the hype, put a deposit down, drove it, wasn't blown away, and changed my mind. it was a modified version of the cheapest car in BMWs lineup. the M2 is better, and I cant stress this enough, in quite literally every possible way. The 1M is just rare. most of the people hyped on them have never driven one, and half the people that do own them and say they're the best car to drive but always drive one of their other cars instead.
I have 6 cars and drive all of them combined less than 12,000 miles per year. I am also away from home quite a bit and drive rental cars a lot, which are not counted in this total. So unless I were to decide not to drive my other cars (some of which are also special), then I really don't have the opportunity to drive my 1M any more than I do.

But let's not focus on my situation. The 1M is a 7+ year old car, and it has value; it has become collectible. I own other collectible cars in my little stable and like the 1M, I drive them similarly a relatively modest number of miles annually. I would suppose that most people who can afford to own a 1M at this point are also in a position to have other cars to drive, and since the 1M (or an old Porsche or a Z3M Coupe, or whatever, fill in the blank with your preferred collectible and older car) isn't going to be a primary vehicle for most at this point, it will therefore not be driven all the time.

I don't see that you are making a real point; the 1M is an older collectible car now. Most owners are going to treat it like that. Perhaps that explains why there are tons of Z3M coupes out there that have less than 100K miles on them, in spite of being 20 or almost 20 years old. That is what happens with older, collectible, cars. People own them as second or third or 4th vehicles, that's part of the normal progression.

Back to the M2, it's not special; if you think it is, then you have very limited experience with special cars. There are quite a few older BMWs that I would much rather own, as a new car, than the M2 that I own now. But do you really know anything about either of these cars you are pontificating about? I doubt it.

And your point was?
10"4967.50
Tornado1M1209.00
CarJunkie2616.50