04-16-2012, 04:46 PM   #59
DriveHard
Colonel
Colombia
Rep
Drives: X1 and R58 JCW

Quote:
Originally Posted by int2str View Post
No. The car went into limp mode because of the brakes over-heating. I didn't even know our cars have a way to monitor this (sensor in the brake fluid maybe?), but the dealer confirmed multiple times that that's what they saw in the computer.

I installed them.

Now we have to clarify what shims you mean?
The stock pads had a thin shim clamped to the back that came off fairly easily and straight. Then the pads had another backing plate glued on the back that I could not remove without bending the crap out of.
Never heard of it in 15 years... But i think you may have had a DSC failure and the car would not accelerate.. that makes more sense to me.. there is no brake fluid / system temp sensor anywhere in the car.. the only thing that has sensors other then ABS is the DSC control unit ... hence my though of a DSC failure limiting throttle..

as far as the shims go, i am in fact talking about the shims that come off rather easily .. the key to them are the edges that wrap around the sides to make the pad snug in the caliper. the ones glued on are there forever.. dont even try to get those off as its a mess..LOL

Hope that clears that up..