View Single Post
      06-21-2012, 12:47 PM   #63
DriveHard
Colonel
Colombia
Rep
Drives: X1 and R58 JCW

An update after my last event as promissed.

I was finally able to install the right side f30plate that was on back-order.

Second trip to limerock this season.. best personal time 1:06.1, .8 sec faster than the first event this season.. ( i got used to the new camber plates, and tweeked my braking a bit to induce ABS ( just barely at the braking zones) ..

I have determined that 135 guys are having more issues then me in my 128 due to their higher straighaway speeds. i.e at LRP i get to 115-120, they get to 130ish..

135's dont have the factory brake ducts through the OEM bumper and into the wheel well ( due to the coolers) as my car does with the M-sport front bumper.. These ducts at least feed fresh incoming air into the wheel wells where the f30 plates, due to there design, capture this air and direct this air over the rotor / hub / caliper.

My BMW BBK rotors are 10k miles old, The Ferodo's have 2 events on them and they are my street pads.. The Brakes on my car with theses upgrades (listed in thread and in sig) worked perfectly. No fade, No vibration, No smoke or fire. Calipers are not discolored due to heat, after many inspections, the pistons and the seals are perfect showing no signs of heat failure.

For a 128 with M-sport and you consider yourself a Intermediate Track driver, then this is your recipe for success.

BMW BBK w/ slotted and crossdrilled BMW rotors
Ferodo 2500 front pads
Titanium shims ( thin ones )
Stock backing plates off of OEM pads to stop the noise and rocking of pads
RBF 600 fluid ( or better)
BMW f30 front backing plates (minor mod, see this thread for details)
High Perf. Street tires / or r-comps ( no runflats)

If you have a 135, do all of the above that isint already done, and if you are able to control your entry speed off the straights you might be ok... If you get any faster, or are not able to take care of your brakes ( not abuse them) Then you will have to do some upgrading as per other threads, as my updates seem to have a limit that other guys in 135's are surpassing.

for any guys tracking a 128..... this is the way to go..

p.s. only draw back to Ferodos is nasty red brake dust after an event...and somewhat even street driving. they do squeak a little here and there but i find if i clean out the holes and the slots of the front rotrs, it does it less often.

Let me know if there are any thoughts or questions..

Regards, Alex