View Single Post
      05-05-2021, 11:16 AM   #12
JamesW1987
Rep
Drives: Sold -2018 M240i X-drive

First off, huge thanks to OP for opening the door on this and showing how to get this maddeningly tricky install done. I just installed the latest MMI Prime plus backup camera on my 2013 135is, and it was frustrating to say the least. The backup camera was by far the easiest part.

I too installed the MMI box under the steering wheel, in the trim piece above the pedals, there was just enough slack in the cables to get it to sit on the far right side of that piece, and after a couple issues with the Idrive connections it finally fired up in working order. Install was over two days, but the camera was 1.5hrs, and the main system took about 7. I'm a fairly competent DIYer but the main thing i found was the fact that Bimmertech's instructions are not made for our cars but the E9X. So a lot of the simple parts on a 3 series end up being fairly intense on the smaller E8X.

For example, the center console trim around the shifter does not need to fully come out, only the trim around the shifter, then loosen the drivers side plug to free the center console trim from the carpet. Now you can wiggle everything in with a long cable tie. Anyways, i think this could be all fixed if they would just release a 1 series appropriate manual, so i will be writing to them to let them know.

At the end of it all, it is a really sweet, OEM quality upgrade, and it doesn't need to be presented in such a complicated manner, hopefully we can continue to amass people who have done the install here to help out until Bimmertech gets their instructions updated. Feel free to PM me if you find yourself having issues with this.

Here's some pics of the madness, enjoy!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0