05-20-2020, 01:42 PM   #7
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhall1957 View Post
I'm curious what the group thinks. I have a VO totally stock car that I picked up in Munich and have all the paper work and goodies for. It's at 11,000 miles and I'm curious if modding it would bring the value down.

Please don't blast me, I'm just curious after reading some other posts about modded cars and Canadian cars.
I strongly believe that stock car will appeal to more people and make it more desirable. I always cringe at the tastefully modified which to me means to the owners taste not mine. For the broadest target audience hence most desirability yes a stock car is best. Even things like a KN filter can turn me off especially if used for many years. People don't realize how much more crap these filters let in especially if not optimally maintained. So if I was buying a car that ran KN filter for 20 years and equal stock car that ran Mann paper filters I would lean that way. There a few mods that might add desirability for example the factory ZKW Xenons on ZHPs are garbage. If they were replaced with the AL metal reflector units which is about a $1500-1800 swap that would add value but these mods only add value if they address a true serious shortcoming like the headlights and even then they only add value if the are the OE equivalent ones that came on non ZHP cars and look identical. Maybe something like an intermediate shaft bearing replacement on an early Cayman would add value because a failure there destroys the motor. So there are some mods that help value but by and large stock is the best option in my humble opinion.
Appreciate 1
///BYU268.50