Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: "Bianca" 135cic AW/TC

Garage List
2008 135cic  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyc74 View Post
I don't agree with anything you said there at all. Wanting a faster car doesn't make a lazy brat, or greedy, and the notion that you can pass judgemnt one someone because of it is just absurd.

Also, weight is the enemy of performance and efficiency in a car. It's NOT insignificant, and it doesn't add anything to stability or ride quality. It's a neccesary evil that has to be delt with, and lighter will always perform better, with all else being equal. You can't overcome the downsides of additional weight by just adding more power. If that were the case the Veyron would be the fastest street car in the world around a track, but it's far from it because it weighs so much.
Ok, to elaborate, I meant weight "to the M3".

Yes, "in general", weight is a big issue. I totally agree. The two biggest performance gains, IMHO, come from "better breathing" (intake/exhaust), and reduction of weight. My point, which I didn't elaborate enough on, was that on the E92 M3, weight is not an issue.

Weight does add stability, as it makes for a smoother ride, and the vehicle is less reactive to outside influence. When I am behind an 18-wheeler in my 1, I feel a little shaking, but minimal. Behind one in my mother's 5 Series, it barely even moves. In my little Focus, I am chucked around like a bilge rat. Suspension helps (getting it replaced soon), but weight adds for a more stable ride.

As for my point of "brat", I still stand behind that for the M3, and here's why. The M Division was built to make a car that will be ultra fast and perform ultra well for regular daily driving. When discussing the M3 with the BMW M Division guy, we both agreed on the point of engine vs car, as the Lotus Exige is only a 1.8 4cyl, but the car is super quick. His specific comment on that was "You can't drive that to the market though. The M3 was made to do your regular driving, that is our goal, to enhance your regular driving".

If you are headed out to work, or to the gym, or to the market, and you say to yourself "Golly gee, 4.1 seconds isn't good enough! I need a Lambo to go to the market." then yes, my point holds water. On a racetrack, yes, get a Lambo LP560-4 over the M3. For regular driving, if the M3 isn't good enough for you, then yes, you are a brat, and I stand behind that.

I have my 135 vert, and while if I won the Lottery I would be out getting a M3 vert in a heartbeat, and while I loved driving the M3, I do not feel like I am less for not having the M3. I love my 135, it is quick, responsive, and I am happy with what I have and I am thankful for what I have.

Signed-The 1Addict!!
2008 135cic, Alpine White/Terracotta Leather/BlackTop, Premium Package (Bluetooth, folding mirrors, etc), Sport Package with M Wheel, Navigation, Logic7 with HD and IPod and Sirius, Steptronic, M Aerodynamic Kit

2001 Focus ZX3, modified for fun commuting

Previous
2006 325xi
2002 Audi A4 3.0 Quattro
1997 Audi A4 2.8 Quattro
1984 Audi 4000S Quattro modified
1955 Ford Thunderbird
1969 Camaro modified
1993 Ford Explorer (basic hauling)
1984+1988 Ford Broncos
1993 Honda Civic (Commuter, junk)
2008 Mini (wife's car, AWESOME)