10-05-2018, 12:16 PM   #80
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep
Drives: In Exuberance

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrane82 View Post
I am in the same boat as chris_flies when debating between a 1.5 way MFactory and a helical MFactory. I only do 1-2 track days a year, but regularly have tail-out antics on the street and want predictability.

My experiences with a helical (TORSEN) differential were with a RX-8 6MT and a NA Miata. I thought both of those cars had great handling predictability at the limit, and both were a blast drifting though Wisconsin winters with.

My experiences with a clutch type differential is with my E36 M3. This car is also a blast to drift with and has fantastic predictability.

Honestly I don't even think I could tell the difference between the differential types when comparing the Miata/RX-8 and the M3 by driving them. Is the difference so small that it is only really noticeable in a track setting with slicks? Would I even notice the difference in the rain on 10 mph corners? Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Jesse
In the end, I went with the 1.5-way diff (and a 3.73 rear-end ratio upgrade). I figured that the additional fluid changes and maintenance would at least help me keep better in-touch with how my car is doing, and, like you, I wanted maximum predictability for occasional street antics.

I'm super happy with my decision. The car is wonderfully predictable, it dances around so controllably when you pass that traction limit, and makes second-gear corners SO much fun in the rain (and in the dry, depending on the pavement). It does clunk and make some odd noises when setting-off, but it's generally pretty civilized (unless it's cold or hot).