flinchy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by woosh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superdaws View Post
If your going aftermarket subd other than an under-seat upgrade then i believe you may need a proper amp to run it off....
Yup, I factored for an amp too, just wanting some knowledge on how to hook it up and if it's all possible without upgrading the headunit.

Anyhow, just did some research and found a company with experience in e82 upgrades - they commented that adding a sub to the base spec audio will have no real gain, unless coupled with a few other upgrades. Will have to email them to see what upgrades they recommend.

The last resort is just adding under-seat subs. I'm not aiming for a doof doof machine, so it should suffice either way.

edit: I wonder if coding the head unit will allow some more options in only adding an amp and sub.
A sub wil have no real gains?? LOL .. A stereo without a sub is barely a stereo.. The added volume and clarity in the <100hz range adds such huge feeling and depth to the music, as well as letting you 'feel' it more.

And as for the 'underseat speakers'. They're just as important as the sub for 'feeling' music, as well as sound/clarity. Midbass is what gives you the 'kick' in the music, which you feel hit you, where the sub more makes you feel surrounded by air pressure

Ed: you can hook the amp up by jumping on either the left or right speaker outputs, as the sub amp lets you low-pass filter out non-subbass, and adjust the gain accordingly

Unless the hu has rca outputs.. Or anything otherwise (not as far as i've seen? I'm still yet to replace my head unit.. (have all the wiring even -_-) I don't actually believe there is a dedicated sub output.

Another ed: people referring to the underseat speaker as subs annoys me like crazy, they're not subs, 6.5 inch speakers in a component (2 or 3-way system at least) don't have the power handling or cone area.. Or dedicated frequency range.. To accurately reproduce loud subbass while simultaneously producing midbass (way too much conflicting excursion) - yes i know there are some products (even down to 4" clusters i think) but they still suck hard in comparison to a 'proper' even low-end 10 or 12" in terms of higher volume
Appreciate 0