woosh
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlequin View Post
Thanks

As far as I know he does. His name's Ben - on here he's TPLSM3. He built the enclosure and sent it over here (got it in 10 days -including build time) for half what Northfield Car Audio wanted to charge me - and they wanted the car for 3 days to create the moulds.

I had to wait until I had the Alpine kit in mine so that I could tap off the outputs from that Amp as mine's an MY10.5 and had no amp as standard. The way I understand it (and I'm not an expert on other peoples' cars - just my own) is that if your car came from factory with tweeters in the A-Sails then you'll have an Amp. If not, then most likely no Amp.

I prefer to think of the under-seat speaker as part of the front channel. Effectively a 3-way setup. Tweeters, Midrange (In the doors) and Drivers (Under the seats). The drivers do a good job of filling in the gap you often get between the audible bass and the sub-bass - smoothing out the curve, so to speak...
Yup just checked - no amp.

Ok, back to square one. I need to figure out what I want in terms of sound. Thanks for highlighting the main areas for improvement (and you too flinchy!). I wish I had the knowledge you guys have - it'd save me a lot of time researching and getting quotes for installation.

Before spending $500 on the Alpine kit, I'll see if it's possible to use the Hi-Fi or Top Hi-Fi amp for the base stereo. Then it'd be a lot easier to do a Sub / Driver upgrade . Let's hope that 135i I last visited has the stock amp left in it should I get it's headunit also (assuming he'll let it go for cheap)?
Appreciate 0