View Single Post
      02-16-2011, 04:04 PM   #33
techthentic
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i, 370z

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
I'm one of the crusty old guys that thought the M3 was a race car for the street and I love the idea of a stripped M3 with cloth, no sunroof. That is why I got excited about the 1M. It was supposed to be a return to race cars for the street.

You are correct in that I am looking at also a stripped 1M but they added leather, 19" Comp Package wheel, Alcantara solely for looks and raised the price. That's my only point....just wish the price difference was a little more AND that BMW and Dr. M did what they said which was focus on weight and real performance. Alcantara should be on your butt not the dash. The tell you can't have a sunroof for weight, but I think there is close to 4lbs per wheel difference in weight and they make leather the only option for real performance. Leather is OK on super bolstered seats like Recaro but cloth, alcantara is better. So I am not a "hater" as many of you like to label us old guys, just sharing some thoughts and opinions.
I had or more I modded, an alcantara dash onto my old s2000, as much as it sounds like a gimmick; it actually helps A LOT with glare. Which made driving and tracking even more of a joy. And as concerned as I was that my alcantara dash would look like shit after a few months due to the direct sunlight, it actually outlasted my alcantara trim seats that I had installed as well. Because as much as we might take care of our alcantara seats if we had them (taking a few extra seconds getting in and out to protect the material), our friends, associates, lot boys, mechanics, etc, will not. Hence I'm more than fine with just regular leather seats and no sunroof instead.
Appreciate 0