View Single Post
      05-08-2018, 02:04 PM   #140
brakthru
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbnks2 View Post
Well, torque limiters are something that have been tuned out. Might be worth looking into.
It's not just a simple torque reduction. All ECUs are working together depending on the driving situation. DME, DSC, TCU etc. There is a lot of braking activity which can occur on any wheel depending on the driving conditions. We can see via MHD odd timing reduction at the time of wheelspin in logs and even slight boost drop. Once the DME and other modules adapt, more timing and boost is allowed but then braking controls how the power to the wheels is put down.
I can literally punch the accelerator going around a corner and the car provides no power to the wheels until the steering wheel the begins to straighten out. Then the power comes on suddenly launching me down the road.

Braking or power cuts sometimes hit aggressively. When the power cuts hit, the logs show the rpms going from diagnol to horizontal for a brief moment in 3rd gear pulls. Then rpms recover and may slow down again depending on traction. Sometimes I do get a brief moment of spin initially in 3rd but afterwards it feels like the car is riding the brakes slightly to keep the car controlled.

I have a safe aggressive tune now so 1st and 2nd gear straight line acceleration is amazing but controlled braking and power cuts still occur in corners. Shifting into 3rd WOT manually results in a thump sometimes as the ECU attempts to slow down the sudden surge of power/wheelspin attempt going into 3rd. Situations really vary depending on if I'm in manual mode, auto, good traction, bad traction, weather, how much power I'm putting down, steering angle etc.

The good news is these problems aren't as bad in warm weather and sticky tires. I've noticed the car allows much more power in corners and launching when it senses more available grip.

The BMW dealer has checked my car out several times and dont know what to say. Theyve replaced the DSC module and DSC dutton. Software updates etc. Didnt make a bit of difference. They feel traction cant be turned all the way off if BMW programmed it that way. They cant reverse it. Others say it shouldnt behave like this. They don't see fault codes so they assume all is well.

I'm kind of wondering if there's something going on hardware/electronic related no one can see right now. But, some others have reported similar issues so maybe not. Disconnecting the DSC module believe it or not doesn't stop the issue. The car simply keeps me on the right path as safe as possible with a little fun. These cars can easily spin 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear if it wasn't for the ecu adding some safety features. So I guess I'll have to live with that for now.
Appreciate 0