07-18-2019, 09:09 AM   #17
Boost3d_1M
Private
South Africa
Rep
Drives: E82 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rekraps View Post
Ah, the topic of OEM vs Mod. Two completely separate camps with completely different users. For me, I only mod the car with easy to restore cosmetic changes, i.e. carbon fiber spoiler, front fender vent overlay tape, and maybe black front grills. Always keep original parts. On the other hand, there are many, perhaps most of the 1M owners that upgrade brakes, down pipes, suspension, seats etc... and make the care more "personal" for them. Both approaches are just fine, however if you have an eye on ever selling the car, then OEM will always command a higher price due to the collector aspect and appeal of this vehicle. This chain of thought also applies to original paperwork, original tire inflation kit (even after it expires, which for most of us was in 2015), fuse kits, window stickers etc. Most important is the paint. The cars have a propensity for road rash on the front of the rear wheel fenders, and on the trim piece under the doors. PPF is a super easy and effective remedy, once you have a paint restoration done. Highly recommended. Imagine the simple add: BMW 1M, White, 33K miles, OEM, Concourse condition. Nothing more need be said.

Thank you so much for this very insightful post. Iv been put off from ppf, because i paid a small fortune to have 3M "VPS" applied to my AW E92 N54 and it went yellow after only a couple of months. I was naive and wasnt aware that the ppf needed special attention to keep the ppf soft to prevent it from yellowing. I guess I also jumped the gun on having this car ceramic coated after the paint was corrected. In my defense, i was quoted a ridicolous amount of almost R20000 or very close to $1400 to do the front of my car in Xpel Ultimate , this was after i had spent $500 , R7500 on ceramic coating the interior and exterior.

Iv been down the modded route with my E92, I had almost every conceivable mod fitted to that car except for an LSD and big turbos and i didnt want to go down that route again. I still have a plethora of both cosmetic and performance mods in my garage. I am a firm believer in never selling your OEM parts, as most people only want to pay you "book value" for your car the day you sell, so using that as my mantra, its easier to return a car back to stock and sell off the aftermarket parts and even if you only make a few dollars back, it would still be more then getting only the book value.

And lastly, I dont eat/drink/smoke in any of my cars !
Appreciate 0