View Single Post
      03-28-2019, 09:20 PM   #20
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

I got a free day of "driving school" at the BMW Performance Center (in Thermal, CA), as a result of the purchase of my M2. For $700, I upgraded the day of basic driving school to a day of "M" school. I did this in December.

In the course of the day's work, we all got a couple of opportunities to drive the M2, M3, and M4, in various maneuvers; we kept switching the cars back and forth. All of the cars were automatics, which in the end didn't matter much because there was so much stuff we were supposed to be doing with the accelerator, the brake, and the steering wheel, on the very short tracks we drove on, that I'm not sure I could have handled manual shifting anyway.

For the record, although the day was fun, I didn't feel like I learned much that I could apply to my typical sort of driving, which occurs on public roads and not on the track.

What was surprising to me was that in spite of the size difference between the M2 and the M3/M4, I didn't detect very much difference in how they drove. All were quite powerful, but also quite numb, when compared to a 1M, or even to your basic 1-Series car.

If BMW still made cars like the 1-Series, I wouldn't even consider buying a current M-Car.
Tornado1M1201.50
mtl8850.00