08-07-2018, 07:17 AM   #412
jaymcars
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
Drive the car for at least 45 minutes... then see what the oil level says.

IF you do a lot of very short drives... the oil level sensor will not read correctly bc of the high water content in the oil. Go for a long drive and recheck.

Or... just change your oil and then you will KNOW the oil level is correct. You could have a bad oil sensor too. Do you have a code reader like BMW Carly ? You could check for codes that way.

Dack
Dack, thanks so much. I am going to take your advice and just get the oil changed. Also, because I live in SW Florida I am going to go with the TwinPower 5w30 per your suggestion. One quick thing- I am thinking it's a good time to replace my gear box oil since I have no record of it being done previously at first glance.

Are you of the thinking that Redline alternative is too thick on cold starts and we should just stay with the original recommended gearbox oil?
'08 M5 BSM/Black 6MT- GONE; '03 M3 Jet Black/Black, 6MT- GONE; '03 M5 Carbon Black/Silverstone, GONE; '11 e90 M3, LMB/Ext Black, 6MT- GONE '11 e93 M3, LMB/Ext Black, DCT- GONE; '11 1M BSM/Black, '17 M2 Long Beach Blue/Black, 6MT; '11 1M Valencia Orange/Black
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10527.50