rapter
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1(M)other f*^#er of a car

Quote:
Originally Posted by VO1M View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rapter View Post
They swapped your exhaust cans with ones on another car???? What is your dealers name?

It is really strange that it stopped on both vehicles... No comment on that other than a poor installation from factory (poor may not be the correct word... Perhaps incorrect). If this is case then it is an installation issue we are looking at can be corrected easily.

It appears that reading a lot of the reviews and comments something like 80% of these cars are displaying the characteristic that you are describing (including mine).

Full review, full review, full review.

Take your car for a spin and let us know ,
Mine certainly does it, but it doesn't stop my enjoyment of the car at the moment - but it does get annoying at steady speeds on built up motorways.

As you say, it must be installation. The adjustment of the brackets and/or rubber hangers must be critical and affecting the resonant frequency of the system. Perhaps a case of loosening all the brackets/joints and re-tightening in a new position.

Anyway,I suppose it's a problem for the dealers to solve!
Took a ride with BMW tech this afternoon who heard the droning exhaust and said that it was the natural sound of the engine under load.

They have documented that my vehicle is making the noise and have recommended to re-visit the issue once the vehicle is completely broken in. They added that much may not change in the tone but they need time to collect info from BMW.

Complicating the issue is that they do not have an opportunity to compare the vehicle's exhaust tone to another one on their lot... as they do not have any other 1m's in stock. The best that I can do is to meet up with a local 1m owner (Toronto) and we can go for test rides with each-other to see if there is a difference between models.

JohnSFB: If swapping the exhaust was enough to fix your issue then that is really amazing, however it does not address or identify what is causing the drone tone to be amplified when the vehicle's engine is on a heavy load in 6th between 2200 - 2800rpm. If you can hit your dealer for more information or have them call BMW Germany to find out more information that would be helpful to identify the problem.

Last edited by rapter; 05-24-2011 at 04:36 PM..
Appreciate 0