View Single Post
      07-04-2018, 11:00 AM   #2
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

There have been other threads addressing this issue. The answer is basically unknowable, because the fact that a car isn't registered with local authorities doesn't mean that it no longer exists. These cars are becoming collectible, and if the car isn't being used regularly, it may not be registered. Even if it is registered, it may move around and be hard to track, such as cars that were originally Canadian and which are now in the US.

If there was a reliable database of worldwide registrations of these cars, that would be a start. I don't think that one exists, however. We could try to make one, however it would be hard to get anyone who is not a forum participant to participate. The database of 1Ms that is on the list of "sticky" threads at the top of this board is very much outdated.

BMW itself is split into national/regional parts and the different parts don't talk to each other. For example, when you try to include an originally Canadian car on the BMW of the US platform ("mybmw" et al) you get an error message that the subject VIN # doesn't exist in the database. This is in spite of making repeated efforts with BMW of the US to transfer records so that the car will now be in the database. I cannot have my originally-Canadian 1M show up on my list of BMW cars on my profile. Getting a recalled driver airbag replacement was a huge chore.

Short answer, the information you seek should be easy enough to find, however it isn't.

Last edited by champignon; 07-05-2018 at 09:39 AM..
Appreciate 1
1'M Blue252.50