View Single Post
      09-09-2018, 01:50 PM   #5
1M
Enlisted Member
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 2002Turbo, M3, M5, 1M

Very difficult to answer to this question, probably most 1M are still with us except those crashed and stolen. A few are already very tired and highly modified, they will probably survive another few years though, given the high resale value, if not crashed in the meantime.

I try to track as much as possible the european ones (UR91) with a register. Fun to do but researches takes a lot of time.
The most noticeable information I could tell you from my "tracking" is how easily these cars are being exported/imported. Several belgian cars went to Japan, while a few 1Ms delivered new in Russia were exported back to Germany, you have a canadian 1M in the streets of Moscow, Poland took a few from the Netherlands and France etc... they are moving all around, changing hands a lot.

I have been running a register for the Bmw 2002 Turbo since 20 years, an exclusive car with 1672 cars produced from 1973 to 1975, mostly sold in Europe. We have about 550 surviving cars more than 40 years later, almost 30%. Not bad for a very unreliable car, prone to rust and very easily going "sideways".

Unsure how the many samples in China and Korea will age with time, but I would expect that between 60% and 70% of the 1Ms produced will survive in 20 years from now (if it's still legal to drive petrol cars though...you never know how things will evolve!). About 90-95% must still be with us today, many unregistered.

It was, is and will remain a very special Bmw, collectible from day one.

Last edited by 1M; 09-09-2018 at 02:12 PM..
Appreciate 1
JP-1M171.00