View Single Post
      10-21-2016, 08:36 AM   #56
bNks334
Major
Rep
Drives: '11 135i (N55)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylanize View Post
Purchase at your own risk guys! This is an older article, but still concerning.

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/story?id=8051065&page=1
Based on the summation of information in that article, I can't agree that the differences Affinia noted in their suit will be a negative for the people who want to run the Dura rotors... and it's from 2009

Affinia's suit seems to be more related to marketing. Dura was claiming to be providing an OE spec rotor, and they were undercutting Affinnia's price point, when in reality the Dura rotor varies from the OE spec'd rotors. Specifically, the Dura rotors are lighter and have larger cooling vanes than OE blanks that come on base cars. Basically, Dura was marketing the 2-piece performance rotors as OE equivalents for cars that came with solid, heavier, rotors from the factory. Dura should have been advertising them as performance rotors which shouldn't have been marketed to the masses as OE equivalents.

The potential failures Affinia claims may indeed be more likely than on an OE spec rotor, but I don't think anyone in this thread will be concerned about getting BMW performance rotors for less than OE blanks. The whole point is to benefit from that lightweight 2-piece design. I'd assume anyone buying the Dura rotors for the aforementioned benefits already understands that the riveted aluminum hat is less durable than a 1-piece design and the reduced mass may lead to stress cracking.... Lightweight also means less thermal mass.

The real issue is the metallergy claims, which don't seem to have been substantiated or the heart of the issue.

Last edited by bNks334; 10-21-2016 at 02:56 PM..
Appreciate 0