View Single Post
      01-04-2019, 10:08 AM   #34
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Good discussion. Sorry as I'm sure it's mentioned here, but what wheels are you using and what did you do to your rear fender lips?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135 View Post
Thanks, for keeping me on my toes. I had a typo in my previous reply regarding OD tyre sizes, which I've corrected to reflect 635mm OD tyres (255/35/18 and 295/30/18) and 643mm OD tyres (265/35/18).

I removed my guard/fender liners a long time ago but that was more so due to the modifications on the lip, for running the wider but lower OD 285/30/18, not being able to seat the liner.

From what I recall, commentary was that the MPSS sizes tend towards a square shouldered tyre (although some were more rounded), so it's more likely that it could rub under certain conditions, as you mentioned.

When you say "it rubs on the outside diameter, not the sides" do you mean at the centre of the tread or off towards/at the edge of the tread?
If at centre, then that would mean rubbing no matter what 265/35/18 tyre you used.
If at the edge, then that could mean the squarer shoulder of the MPSS could be the contributing factor. A rounded shoulder tyre (I recall Hankook Ventus V12 Evo), determined by tread width : section width ratio, doesn't have the issue with rubbing on the OD towards the edge of the tread but, then again, they just don't look as meaty and menacing on the rear. But you also need 285s to amplify that.
I usually regard around 90% as rounded shoulder and around 95% as square. The MPSS were somewhere in the middle but sometimes closer to being classed as rounded, while, the AD08Rs at 97-98% are some of the most square shouldered tyres I have come across.

Changing ride height and camber are going to affect your clearance again. As I found out, it's literally a game of millimetres.