11-30-2018, 06:31 PM   #23
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep
Drives: In Exuberance

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrane82 View Post
If you swap the open diff to a LSD you will need to set backlash. How did you install one, reuse OEM bearings, and not check/adjust backlash? Machining tolerances will be different from one unit to the next, and a couple thousandths of an inch matter.
I reused OEM bearings and one of the lock rings, with an aftermarket lock ring and shims on one side. The one lock ring got bent, so I had to re-shim to the new lock ring ($200 shim kit...ugh). I started shimming using the original thickness engraved on the bent lock ring, and it ended up being perfect. I was going to measure regardless, but everything I've read said that it will remain in-tolerances.

Matticus91 Bird's and Quaife are like the O.G. LSD retrofitters for the E9x/E8x. Chris Harris did a review on a Hartge E92 335i with a Quaife LSD.