12-07-2018, 09:40 PM   #42
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep
Drives: In Exuberance

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by duder13 View Post
Interesting. I've been thinking about adding an LSD in the coming year, but I've been waffling on it a little. Neither my 911 nor Cayman had a mechanical LSD, and no current McLaren cars come with one, so there is some precedent for having an electronic LSD in fast cars.
Agreed, but that is comparing a mere first-gen BMW system used in every single one of their cars, to a quarter-plus million dollar car that pushes all technical and physical boundaries possible. The beauty of the helical LSD is that it performs the same exact function as the eDiff, so it will feel the same performance-wise (because the eDiff does a very good job), but with more playfulness (it is a mechanical system that reacts instantly).

I think you'd feel the biggest difference with a locking LSD. The action of locking and unlocking, and then how much it actually locks completely changes how the car behaves. It's a very predictable, simple, and delightful experience when you're pushing it on the track. On the street, however, it's either (A) a noisy, clunky, chattery thing that makes pulling out of parking lots in an overly-calm fashion a tire squealing affair, (B) a psychotic device that tries to kill you if you even think about touching the throttle in a corner that's wet on tires that aren't meant to be in the wet, or (C) your bestest friend that ensures that you will depart that Chick-fil-a drive, in front of that impending Prius with absolute predictability, and a possible hint of sideways exuberance.

Matticus91
My answer to your thread:

If you want a stock-like feel, a quiet nature, and the ability to do relatively fun things with ease, go for a helical. I'd personally go with a Wavetrac, as it alleviates some concerns of having absolutely no locking effect when one wheel has no traction. I imagine this is what you will go for...

If you want a very different driving experience, a race car-ish experience, and the ability to very fun things, very easily, and very controllably, go for a clutch-type. I'm partial to my MFactory 1.5-way, I love the way it feels out-of-the-box, and it came with things to adjust it if I want to (which I might eventually). I can't wait for some proper amounts of snow to test the traction of this diff vs the eDiff, I have fairly high expectations (for entertainment purposes, of course).