View Single Post
      11-11-2015, 11:38 PM   #14
joe86
Private
Rep
Drives: 08 135 coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanDavies View Post
A rhetorical question to some degree: Why would you want toe out up front?

Imagine the loaded wheel in a turn, and you'll understand why I'd hesitate to do so (in addition to the impact toe out has on braking stability, and the rolling resistance impact).

Well I have been doing a lot of reading on this lately and this is my understanding: It makes for quicker initial turn in to a corner/slalom. This seems to be more important for slower/tighter corners like the ones seen in autocross then the higher speeds seen at the track. In the moment between when you turn the steering wheel and when the weight transfers to the outside tire its better to have the inner tire (which, while cornering, will be traveling around a smaller circle than the outside tire) pointing towards the corner ready to grab/grip the pavement. This actually transfers the weight to the outside tire quicker. You don't want too much because then you have to turn the steering wheel more to get the outside tire pointed in the correct direction when the weight transfers. Also too much can cause a lot of instability. How much is good depends on tire stiffness/sidewall height you may want more toe out if going with a taller tire as it can twist/deflect more (can have a higher slip angle). It also depends on your car setup if you install a stiffer suspension the weight will transfer faster which means you will want less toe out. The link that someone posted earlier is a good read.