11-18-2017, 08:55 PM   #12
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chill View Post
Well sure enough, first visit back to dealership after the last maintenance under warranty 2 yrs ago and the car needs a full service is what they are telling me. Oil, Tranny service, rear diff service, spark plugs, cabin filter, brake fluid. Seems incredible to me that the car only has 17k on it and could possibly need this maintenance. The oil was changed 2 yrs/2000 miles ago.

For the record that 5 year free maintenance got me 2 or 3 oil changes, that was it. Granted, it hasn't been driven much since the first few years.
It's been six years probably since the break-in trans, diff service at 1200 miles. some people didn't even get the trans service in the US. Even though you are at 17K miles, you should still change it on years alone. The fluid deteriorates with age and not miles. It's chemical not mechanical. I changed my own diff and trans fluid and bought bottles of LT-5 trans fluid in the fall of 2011 when the 1M came out. They have an expiration date of July 2016. That means that the fluid that was used in your gearbox back in 2011 or 2012 has already been expired by the manufacturer and that expiration was for just sitting in the bottle not in the car.

There are actually additional things that happen to oils when they sit a long time. condensation that normally evaporates with daily running can accumulate in the fluid and affect parts, even rust internals not to mention reducing the lubrication. The same goes for your brake fluid. Finally, if you store it for a long time, top off the tank so there is less air to build condensation to form in the tank.

My car also had the same issue. it only has 21K miles and a couple of years back I got a light to change spark plugs etc. at 17K miles also.

I hope that helps.
Appreciate 2
JP-1M171.00