07-13-2015, 03:52 AM   #8
DR-JEKL
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: Space Grey E92 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtl View Post
Luckily the hub nuts were already loosened by the seller before they shipped it!

I had no luck removing them with a breaker bar due to the hubs rotating as I tried to put torque on them. My electric impact got them off eventually but would have no hope busting a rusted nut torqued down to 400nm, my impact is only rated to about 250nm

The axles are still stuck in the hubs, I've got them soaking in WD40 while the gear puller I ordered comes in the mail. Some people have a really hard time getting them out with huge sledge hammers.

Fortunately in my case I have the luxury of destroying the hubs if need be, I only need the axle. The only reason why I would preserve them is to maybe sell them on, although I'm not sure that many people are after the hubs. Alternatively I can keep the output flanges and handbrake assembly for conversion to reduce my rear wheel offset by 10mm so I can fit wider wheels.

DR-JEKL, why do you need new wheel bearings? Don't you just reuse your existing hubs?
I'm using the M3 hubs and brakes, when Peter from advan conducted his m3 driveline swap he said one of the bearings in the M3 hubs was stuffed, and he had to disassemble and replace them.

The driveline I had came from the UK from a 2010 M3 (I bought it back in 2013) had 20 odd k miles use and 2-3 winters worth of corrosion.

Apparently its pretty common to swap wheel bearings out in harsh winter snow conditions due to the amount of corrosion the driveline and undercarriage is exposed to, and Pete had advised I would be best to swap in a fresh set
Appreciate 0