First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 135is

Garage List
2013 BMW 135is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TridenTBoy View Post
Replaced OEM pads this weekend with new OEM-like pads (Jurid brand from BavAuto). This is what triggered a red warning get brakes replaced ASAP. This thickness is the whole width measured from the inside middle of the brake pad. (The region that would be closest to the center of the rotor)

Actual pad material thickness is unknown and hard to measure but it looks like half or more of the thickness is actual abrasion material as opposed to a backing.

11.70mm
12.63mm
12.62mm
12.10mm

I replaced my worn pads with new pads that measured around 16.5mm. So, I only lost 4-5mm... I feel like I had a lot of life left in these pads and the warning system was BS. That said, my front brakes were starting to squeal quite a bit at times. Hard to say why though. Could've just been brake shudder or something.

I took some photos while I was doing this just to document here and there:
View post on imgur.com

The guide was helpful. Should've watched the youtube video too. I really recommend having the right tools *before* you start the job. Otherwise, you'll have a bad time.

Did the job again today.

However, I didn't know what grease to use on the brake pad alignment pins or on the surfaces that they slide on. (I didn't think of using anything on the pistons or surface the pistons would press on but I did see some videos of people doing that)

Unfortunately, people mention, "Oh, use some high temp grease" but then that suggestion isn't very helpful since there are so many variants (I think I have like 3 kinds already!). I did apply the absolutely smallest amount of some Permatex "Anti-seize lubricant" ("Advanced Formula" with an orange highlight over the text) that I've had for years and years... but only on the left side as a test to compare dry vs minor amounts of that anti-seize. The anti-seize that I have is a silvery metallic color - and doesn't say anything about being copper based. Tried looking on the bottle and online - but no mention of copper... no mention of what is in it, period.

Anyway, I haven't gone out and bedded in the brakes yet or done anything. I do know though that my rotors probably need to be replaced. It's hard to get an accurate reading on the thickness because there's an edge to the rotors that stays higher than the rest of the surface of the rotor. Therefore, I can't get an accurate reading when using typical calipers. I'd need some of those calipers they use to measure heads or something and then measure later.

Here's the one I used: https://www.midwesttechnology.com/pe...ricant-1-2-pt/
Here's what I think I probably should have used if I had it: https://www.permatex.com/products/lu...s-lubricant-2/ "Permatex® Ceramic Extreme Brake Parts Lubricant"

I'm not sure - lots of conflicting advice online and many people getting things mixed up. I really just wanted to lubricate the sliding areas of the brake pads because I know those can squeal.

OH and my brake sensor DID NOT go off. My brakes were almost completely down to the metal plates but no sensor warning. They were making lots of grinding and squealing noises as time was going on. Surprised there was no warning from the sensor... I didn't replace the sensor - will need to order one and replace it. Maybe I won't go with the same supplier as before. Yeesh.
Appreciate 0