12-21-2017, 12:59 AM   #19
buddalun
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 911 x 2, Tesla M3P & MYP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikebmxbikes View Post
The car is worth well over $90k. The auction closing is not a reflection of the value of this car.

the auction was not promoted very well. Even the description of the car didnt touch on the finer points of the vehicle. There was zero mention of WHY the car exists. Zero mention of the cars performance / balance beyond dinans stroker motor numbers. Its easy to describe the cars hardware and assume the vehicle is the sum of said parts but in truth, it is so much more.

Its the theme behind it that makes it meaningful. Its not a car in which its merit is based off its hardware alone as the auction sells it as. Its a car that makes a statement about the M3 getting fatter, bmw going all FI, the disappointment for many when the 1m came out with an n54. The car represents the path that BMW DIDN'T take when the brand stood at that crossroad when designing the f80.

And again, the car is absolutely more than the sum of its parts. It doesnt drive like a 1m and it doesnt drive like an e92. The S65, while glorious in an e9x, is even better in a 400lb lighter car. And the S65 further gets better when it becomes a 4.6L. The s65, with its linear throttle is an even better choice for an e82 and its smaller wheel base. It makes for a much more predictable package than the n54 allows.

These are the reasons these cars are meaningful. Its not simply because we put v8s and nice parts on them. And my car has only stayed in the limelight so long is because many people resonate with the theme of it.

My prediction is this car will sell privately far above the auction price. Its an absolutely amazing car and there is not anything else quite like it on earth.
Thanks, I appreciate your subjective assessment. In my opinion, the car is not worth $90k, even if the build is pitch perfect. To each their own.
Appreciate 1