08-30-2012, 01:34 PM   #147
Expert@ApexWheels
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprtran View Post
UPDATE:

Got the issue resolved! Turns out the inside face of the wheel was rubbing against the H&R coilovers on turns and relatively hard straight-line breaking where the front of the car dips. EAS fitted 5mm front spacers and no more rubbing. I'm happy.

Also, for those looking to run a wider rear stance, EAS fitted 10mm spacers in the rear, which works perfectly IMO. Very brief rubbing over quick dips, but then again my 135i sits fairly low all around.

Anyone looking for major services or fine-tuning work to be done and is located in Southern California, then I HIGHLY recommend EAS. I have no affiliation with them; I simply appreciate their diligent work and expertise.
If aftermarket coilovers are installed then it's very possible for the wheel/tire to touch the suspension if the lower spring perch is set too low. Lower perches can be low due to a long main spring, the use of a helper/tender spring, or excessive lowering. In the case of the H&R coilovers, I believe they use a longer then ideal spring.

We're glad to hear the 5mm spacer cured your issue. Your offset is effectively ET40 now, which is just on the edge of fitting without fender issues depending on the tire that is used. For others reading this, some meaty tires (like r-compounds) would most likely rub on the fender when spacer'ed out, unless extra negative camber is added.

As you mentioned spacers in the rear can induce rubbing. 255/35/18 is unnecessarily conservative for the rear at the width/offset we spec'ed for the 1 series. A 265 would be meatier and would fill the rear fender more, resulting in no need for a spacer to modify the fitment aesthetically.