View Single Post
      03-08-2013, 01:33 AM   #12
simianspeedster
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 840i Coupe

Update: I dropped by my dealer to check out a MY2013 128i with the Technology Package. As far as I could tell, it's basically the same as the system in my wife's 2012 F30 (minus the Eco garbage). I think it even shares the same 8.8" HD screen, but I'm not certain.

I don't drive my wife's car much, but I have warmed to using iDrive as a passenger. This week, I also watched a couple online manuals on BMW's site to learn more about the real-time traffic capabilities. It all makes more sense to me now. Weekend traffic in LA is impossible to predict at any hour, let alone the daily commute. The programmable buttons will make it easy to set work, home and the beach as destinations so I can benefit from the real-time traffic info. Nav will also come in handy on a few road trips I plan to take and the big screen is also helpful for navigating media functions for someone like me who uses a huge USB drive in lieu of an iPod, etc.

On my current car (2011 335i Coupe) and my previous car (2007 Z4 Coupe), I avoided iDrive because it felt badly underbaked. I've made the most of the two line screen in my standard 2011 head unit, but it has limitations. It's not always easy to use while driving and it doesn't mix well with polarized sunglasses, for example. Basic, but workable.

My main goal for my next car is to get something kind of simple and old school because I see the E82 128i as the last of the old school BMWs (naturally aspirated, hydraulic steering, etc.) My anti-car technology stance has softened a bit now that I see some of the iDrive/Nav benefits and I've seen the system in action and online. I'm still not 100% sold on iDrive/Nav and the screen placement in the E82 is still a bit awkward, but I'm fairly certain I'd more likely regret skipping it this time around than regret ordering it. So I made the call, added the Tech Package to the config and placed the order.

Hey, I'm still getting a manual transmission and I'm going to swap the suspension, wheels and tires, so it's not like I'm going completely soft!

Last edited by simianspeedster; 03-08-2013 at 01:40 AM..
Appreciate 0