View Single Post
      07-18-2018, 11:38 PM   #245
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i MT

Picked up these Alcon 6 piston front brakes, the stock calipers look impressive and work well for street use but the longevity in track use isn't ideal. These calipers will hold up to track abuse better, and offer larger diameter and thicker discs for improved cooling, and shouldn't have any issues with heat. The discs are 2 piece fully floating as well, which allow the disc to expand radially from the heat cycles and look great too

Bled the brakes with a DSC bleed with Motul RBF660, looking forward to testing these out on a track day.

Eventually I will see if I can find some Alcon 4 piston brakes for the rear, as I have calculated the brake bias to have moved 4% forwards by keeping the rear brakes stock. Alcon are the OEM brakes on a small number of cars, they are all radial mount so they are easily adaptable. As for discs I would probably stick to an OEM BMW disc rather than go to the expense of fabricating 2 piece fully floating discs for the rears. One of the biggest reason to stick to an oe disc is so the handbrake works without any issues. Could go 335i rear disc, e92 m3 disc or possibly 5 series rear disc
Attached Images

John_01232.00