CH400EM
M119
Rep
Drives: %E2%80%9892 Merc 400E, %E2%80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by CH400EM View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowsdower View Post
Does this charge your phone through the OBD port? Or does the plug only access OBD? I'm thinking of doing something similar, but more permanent with an old phone I have laying around. I'd likely use a wireless OBD plug and charge the phone with a cable through the vent.

Is this the magnetic mount you used?
Yes that is the mount I used.

And no the device does not charge. In fact most Android systems implemented in our phones/tablets do not support OTG data transfer and charging through the same port, so that's a limitation I came across. If your device has a USB port and charging port, that is one way to get around this. Otherwise you'll need to load a customized Android operating system on your device, but I wasn't too interested in doing this anymore as years ago I was much more active in the Android development and customization scene.

Another option for something more permanent than my solution is to run power from the fuse box through a converter to supply power to a switchable data box. Using a switch you could go back and forth between OBD2 signal and power signal. You could remote mount the switch on the dash somewhere. There are some difficulties in implementing this but it can be done.
Missed the wireless part!

That will work

Power source would still need to go through a converter, likely sourced from an empty fuse location (or add a fuse). Here's the converter I used: "GEREE Waterproof DC Converter" https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OXZ06I4..._Yn-bDb6ETRKXW

The run the cable behind dash for a clean install! Good luck with the install, sounds neat!