10-19-2010, 07:49 PM   #31
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxnix View Post
And you, Sir, would be very wrong!

Do you think that material technologies and lubricants have changed that much in the last ten years? I assure you that they have not!

I think most people skip over the spot-on conclusion of this article.

"It has to be recognized that the benefits of good drive-train lubricant maintenance do not accrue until the car matures. The difference between the car that ran 15,000-mile oil change intervals and never had it's gearbox or differential oil changed (as per BMW instructions) and the one that ran high-end synthetic lubricants and had it's drive-line maintained in contravention of BMW's instructions, is the strong likelihood that the second car will be running strong at 200,000 miles whereas the first car will likely have a worn out drive-train. BMWs, and most modern cars, will run 100,000 miles just fine with zero maintenance."
You're entitled to your opinion of my comments, even though your opinion is quite wrong.

There are many many BMW's still running strong, even since the introduction of the longer maintenance intervals. Back when it was announced, people such as the writer of that piece, raised warnings that BMW's would see increasing failures as miles built up.
That didn't happen. BMW retains a great reputation of building great engines. If they were prone to failure, due to BMW's maintenance, we'd have heard about it by now, especially after over a decade of that maintenance plan.

Yes, manufacturing and lubricants, and much about automobile technology has changed in the past 10yrs. I assure you they have!

The quote you use as some insight, if full of educated guess and potential of probables.
But, some of it is out of date, like this:
The difference between the car that ran 15,000-mile oil change intervals and never had it's gearbox or differential oil changed (as per BMW instructions) and the one that ran high-end synthetic lubricants and had it's drive-line maintained in contravention of BMW's instructions,...

Since at least 1999 BMW went to longer intervals when they went to full synthetic engine oil.
So, I don't know what the article is getting at.
It's as if the writer thinks BMW went to 15k oil drain intervals while still using conventional oil. They didn't.

Sounds as if the article is discussing pre synthetic BMW's, thus not modern BMWs.

And then there is this tidbit:
BMWs, and most modern cars, will run 100,000 miles just fine with zero maintenance.

Really? So, any car will run "just fine" if one does "zero" maintenance for 100k miles?
I do not agree. Try not changing your engine oil and air filter for 100k miles, and let's see how long, or how well, it will run.
But, use your car for that test. I'll refrain from trying it on mine.
BMW nor any other car maker recommend a zero maintenance interval.You can agree and side with an article that states a zero maintenance plan will allow your car to run just fine for 100k miles.
I'll continue to question why anyone would even say that.
Appreciate 0