Thread: Headers
View Single Post
      12-10-2019, 01:06 AM   #30
DaelementZ
Rep
Drives: 2011 128i - Auto

Sorry for the delay. I completed the install of alliexpress jvkv headers on my wifes 2011 128i. The headers appeared to be great quality but I don't own any other headers to compare it to. It seemed hefty.

If your going to tackly this install and your a novice or not familiar w install you might want to invest in a few tools if you dont have them already.
1. Extra long flex head ratchet wrench 11mm.
2. 11mm deep socket 3/8" drive.
3. 11mm deep socket 1/4" drive
4. Coordless ratchet. (I bought husky brand) Life and forearm saver.
5. Impact driver
6. Socket extensions
7. Swivel sockets various sizes
8. 3/8 to 1/4 inch adapter for coordless ratchet
9. Standard length 11mm flex head ratchet wrench.

The biggest pain in the butt for me was the removal. I found myself leaning over on the engine bay very far and in uncomfortable angles to reach the bolts. There are a few that are hard to get to. The most difficult for removal in my opinion Bank 1 cylinder 123 bottom nut closest to front. Its right near an ac line i believe. I didnt want to remove this line. So i worked around it. The way the collar nuts are on the studs, its very hard to use a standard socket on them because they arent deep enough. I did a hack to remove this and used a standard 1/4 drive socket on swivel but I did not put the socket completely on the swivel. I put the socket on and stopped it right before it locks into place on the swivel. I wrapped the connection with electric tape to keep the half inserted socket on the swivel. This gave me just enough clearance to grab the nut and get it at a crazy angle.

All during removal, i cursed and complained about not having a coordless ratchet. So once my forearms became like popeye's after the removal of nuts, I purchased a coordless ratchet from home depot. It is 100% well worth the money.

The fitment of the headers is perfect, in my opinion. I did not have to force it or heat it up and bang it to get it to fit. I inserted cylinder 123 header from top of engine bay and cylinder 456 header from underneath of car. You will have to rotate the headers in weird unorthadox angles to get it to fit in. Its like a mini puzzle but if your patient and try rotating it a few times, it will fit right in.

Once in place, I loosely put each nut on; including exhaust bolts. Then began the tightening process. This is where the coordless ratchet began to shine. What was taking me minutes per bolt to do, i was able to do it in seconds. There were about 3 or 4 bolts that I could not reach with the coordless ratchet. I must say, dont be a mindless zombie while tightening nuts down w coordless ratchet. Be very sensitive and fully aware in how much, hard and fast your tightening it. You gotta use common sense and a little paranoia when tightening. I tried torquing nuts and gave up on 1st one. It just wasnt feasible to me with the clearance and weird angles you have to have your arms in order to do so.

It helps to have a competent buddy/partner when tightening. They can hold the headers at the right angle under car while your tightening. Plus they can see how much gap is left between cylinder head and headers. I had my wife help, she enjoyed spending time with me.

One thing to be aware of. The kit doesnt come with the copper exhaust manifold collar lock nuts. You will need to get 16 of them. I recommend getting a couple more than needed. 2 walked away during install and i had to make trip to dealer to get replacements. Suspect it walked away w my 10yr old who always building things. I also dropped 2 and it was a pain to try and find. But I found them.

It sounded great. A little beefier than stock. I have no custom exhaust and I do not believe I have PE exhaust.

I have not tuned my car. This is where my ignorance kicks in. I just have no idea what im doing or how to get it done. A lil help/guidance would be appreciated.

Overall I think the value is amazing. If anyone is on the fence buying them, I say go for it!

I took photos and cold start video but typed this on mobike phone. I am unsure how to get it posted w phone.
Appreciate 4
Rmtt8221.00
asbrr544.50
b1aze565.50