08-16-2018, 10:21 AM   #305
chadillac2000
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazi3azn View Post
Well I finally caught up reading your thread. Found it via YouTube when I commented on your 6062 video. I don’t think you mentioned how those new Indy tires have been. I know in my local VW groups everyone’s been raving them but most of the BMW groups talked about federal 595rsr.

Another thing is, can you explain more about the vibration you had in 1st and 2nd gear. I too recently had a spec stage 3+ clutch installed. During the break in period, my car would vibrate around 2-3k rpm in 1st and a bit of 2nd gear. After reading that it was common in other platforms during break in I did not think of it much. Fast forward to after break in, after 2000km or so the vibration lessened a lot. Now I only get it in 1st gear at 2-2.5k rpm. It seems to lessen the more I drive so I’m curious what yours was.
That's some dedication! There's a lot of content to catch up on in this build.

I do so much daily driving on the highway, that I opted to not go with the top of the line Michelin PSS, but with a tire with a far better treadwear rating. I drive fairly tame and all of my pulls are usually in 3rd and 4th gears, so my tires last a long time. I Hankook V12 Evo2 at 59,500 miles and they lasted all the way until 102,500 miles before the rears were toast. I've only had the Firehawk Indy 500s for around 12,000 miles so far, but they're similarly priced, seem to ride quieter and have great grip in the dry. If they last as long as advertised, I'll probably be a repeat customer and pick up another set after these get worn down. Seems to be a great bang for your buck tire that won't wear out instantly. I used to rub slightly in the front at angle while going over large dips with the Hankook, but none at all with the Firehawk, which is another plus if you're looking for more fitment without rubbing. I've never purchased a Federal tire on any of my vehicles, so I can't comment on that one in particular.

If you'll look up a few posts above this one, you'll find all the problems I was having after my MFactory SMFW and Spec Stage 2+ clutch install. It turns out my vibrations were coming from a center support bearing I'd accidentally installed upside down, throwing off the angle off the driveshaft and causing vibrations in low gear under throttle. Now that I've fixed that, I have zero vibrations at any part of the gear under any throttle condition. I'd check out your guibo to make sure its in good shape, as well as the center support bearing, as those could definitely cause the symptoms you're describing. Mine felt like you were driving over a rumble strip from probably 1500-2500RPM in 1st and 2nd. It's strange that it seems to be getting better and not worse though. I'd imagine if the problem was as serious as mine, that would be getting worse the more you drove, not less.
Appreciate 0